Tuks earned their maiden Varsity Hockey title

In Hockey, sports
Tuks win 2017 Varsity Hockey title

Tuks earned their maiden Varsity Hockey title thanks to a Catherine Morris goal as they defeated Maties 1-0 on Monday night in Pretoria.

It was end-to-end action from the get-go as Tuks used the home support to begin the match on the front foot on a crisp Monday night in the capital. It was the hosts who had the early momentum as Natalie Estevez pulled the strings from deep in midfield. Maties had Stephanie Botha and Paige Phillips to thank for keeping a clean sheet.

The first penalty corner was awarded in the 14th minute. Maties’ receiver slipped it left but Tuks cleared the resulting slap. Just seconds later they had their second penalty corner. Tuks were lucky not to concede a P-flick as the ball hit a defender’s leg a metre from goal with the goal keeper out of the picture completely. Tuks defended brilliantly but Maties had another short corner just moments later. A brilliant Tarryn Glasby shot was deflected wide and there was soon respite for the home side as the first chukka came to an end after a period of five minutes spent in the Tuks circle.

The article appeared first on Tuks win 2017 Varsity Hockey title in thrilling final

You may also read!

Aiden Markram and Lungi Ngidi join the Proteas

As Varsity Cricket gears up for an electric and colourful week in Potchefstroom, two former stars of the tournament

Read More...
Madibaz get a taste of Varsity Cup’s power play rule

Madibaz rugby player Justin Hollis will be keen to make an impact in the Varsity Cup this year. The

Read More...
Student News Africa Sales Position

Join Our Team Now, we are looking for a Digital Media Sales Rep

The Student News Africa team is growing and we are looking for experienced, energetic Digital Media Sales Representatives. You

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com