Where do South Africans go for their favourite burgers, coffee and steaks? The people’s favourite eateries in the Western Cape, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal and Mpumalanga were revealed at the Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Best Everyday Eateries celebrations in Cape Town and Johannesburg on 17 and 24 October.
These accolades were presented after a year-long period of voting and a gruelling adjudicating process. The top names in each category were determined by star ratings given by the public on eatout.co.za, in conjunction with scoring from professional Eat Out critics.
This is the third year running that Eat Out, together with Mercedes-Benz, has invited the public to help choose South Africa’s favourite everyday restaurants. “While the winners in previous years were chosen solely based on public reviews, this year restaurant owners and food enthusiasts asked for the experts on our panel of critics to play a bigger role,” said Anelde Greeff, editor-in-chief of Eat Out. “Our critics visited each of the eligible restaurants that received enough high scores from fans to review them and give their own scores. Final results were then based on a 50-50 composite rating from the public and the critics.”
The 2017 Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Best Everyday Eateries winners and highly commended restaurants are:
- Western Cape: Best Asian Eatery: Winner – Shio, Highly commended – Three Wise Monkeys
- Best Bistro: Winner – The Stack
- Eat Out Savanna Best Burger Eatery: Winner – Royale Eatery, Highly commended – Hudsons The Burger Joint (Claremont)
- Best Coffee Shop: Winner – Meraki (Stellenbosch), Highly commended – Betty Blue Bistro
- Best Country-Style Eatery: Highly commended – De Grendel Restaurant
- Best Indian Eatery: Winner – The Indian Chapter with Prim Reddy
- Best Mexican Eatery: Winner – Fuego
- Eat Out Tramontina Best Steakhouse: Winner – Primal Eatery, Highly commended – Rare Grill
- Best Tapas Eatery: Winner – Chefs Warehouse & Canteen, Highly commended – The Mess
- KwaZulu-Natal: Eat Out Savanna Best Burger Eatery – Winner – Republik (Durban North), Highly commended – S43 Home to That Brewing Co., Best Bistro Highly commended – 9th Avenue Bistro
- Gauteng: Best African Eatery – Winner – La Terrasse Rooftop Café & Deli, Best Asian Eatery – Highly commended – Momo Soko, Best Bistro Winner – Carbon Bistro
- Eat Out Savanna Best Burger Eatery: Winner – Craft (Parkhurst), Highly commended – Dukes Burgers
- Best Coffee Shop: Highly commended – Afro-boer
- Best Indian Eatery: Highly commended – Geet Indian Restaurant
- Best Italian Eatery: Winner – Coalition, Highly commended – Forti Grill & Bar
- Eat Out Tramontina Best Steakhouse: Winner – The Local Grill, Best Tapas Eatery Winner – Rockets Bryanston, Highly commended – Urbanologi
- Mpumalanga: Best Bistro Winner – The Blue Print Restaurant
“It’s always exciting to see the results of these awards, as they give us a clear picture of where people like to dine in their own neighbourhoods. We congratulate the winners on being voted the best by those who matter most – their loyal fans,” said Selvin Govender, Marketing Director – Mercedes-Benz Cars.
For the first time this year, Eat Out also recognised a reader reviewer chosen from the entire user base across the country for their contribution to fair and balanced reviews. The winner is Joash Narainsamy, who has posted reviews of more than 40 restaurants on eatout.co.za. Eat Out’s editors praised these reviews for tactfully mentioning areas for improvement while applauding restaurants’ successes.
The eligibility period for reader reviews for the Best Everyday Eateries was 1 October 2016 to 30 August 2017, followed by the completion of critic reviews in September 2017 for the qualifying restaurants. For each review posted on eatout.co.za, Eat Out pledges a meal for a hungry child through Rise Against Hunger, formerly known as Stop Hunger Now Southern Africa. Since the start of this partnership in November 2014, over 7 400 meals have been pledged.